In July of 2011 a dream was birthed – we launched a sewing center for local women. Located within Holy Cross Anglican Primary School, the sewing center provides an opportunity for the women to learn a useful skill, which we hope will one day lead to an income.
We also hope to provide sewing lessons to less academically inclined senior students, giving them a chance at a good trade should they decide not to – or be unable to – continue on to high school.
The sewing center ladies began by taking on a tough challenge of learning to sew the Holy Cross School uniform. Thanks to the help of a local tailor, as well as countless hours of practice, ripping up old uniforms and resewing and learning many things the hard way, they have done a great job of learning how to make and repair our uniforms – what an asset!
They are also exploring other projects to make items for sale to locals as well as tourists.
Visitors are welcome to visit the sewing center and support us by donating items and purchasing some great bags, dolls and other items. To visit, come to the main school office between 9am and 2:30 on school days.
Donations of supplies that are hard to get here are also most welcome! A general wishlist is below, though please contact us to let us know you’re coming and to ask if there are any urgent or specific items needed.
Sewing Center Wish List (Spring 2018)
- Grey zppers – for uniforms 14″ & 16″ (Get a great deal here – order color 24 or 27)
- Grey thread – to match our uniforms
- Fabric – especially heavier fabric for totes (duck cloth or canvas)
- Sewing machine needles, (for normal and heavy fabric)
- Plastic shoe boxes for storing supplies, notions
- Colorful wippers – for bags 20 inch (Get a great deal here)