Raise Me Up are proud to graduate the first 10 students from Raise Me Up’s Literacy Program at Holy Cross. These students have worked hard to master the literacy skills they need to thrive in their regular classroom environment.
The Graduation was a simple and fun ceremony. Program Coordinator Sue Barkhouse congratulated the students and encouraged them all to get library cards. Guest speaker Dion Vansen from the San Pedro Sun talked about the importance of reading for a run and rich life. Graduates were presented with certificates and then, best of all, there was ice-cream for all from Paradice Ice-cream in the Wings Plaza.
Graduates received a certificate, a fun Caye Boy book from Caye Caulker author Jessica Wigh, a voucher to the Truck-Stop, a library card application, and a pack of genuine Smarties from Canada.
“I am so proud of the success of the students and the program.” Says Sue. “It takes a global village to make it work. I attribute the success of the program to the positive motivation and the consistency of the program working with so many willing volunteers.”
Speaking of volunteers, Sue is quick to add that she’s looking for volunteers to help with the literacy program, and its sister program the numeracy program in the coming school year. If you’re on the island for a week or more, like working with kids and can be positive and encouraging then she can use you. Contact Holy Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sue at 607-9464.
Holy Cross and Sue Barkhouse would like to thank and acknowledge:
- Raise Me Up for running this incredibly positive and life changing program
- The many volunteers from Projects Abroad as well as individuals who have worked 1:1 with the children
- Vice Principal Olivia Tasher for all her support. And also Principal Rodney Griffith and the teachers and staff at Holy Cross.
- Children’s authors Jessica Wigh from Caye Bay Books and Lisa Cyrier from Dooley Bear Books.
- Paradice Icecream, Truck-Stop, The Sandbar and many individuals for donating prizes and rewards
- The Holy Cross Education Foundation for providing space, materials and volunteers.