Holy Cross Anglican School has a long and rich history of welcoming volunteers. Indeed, everything at the school – from the floorboards to the roofing zinc – has been built and maintained by volunteers. We literally could not do what we do for our community without the ongoing support of volunteers.
As San Pedro is a beautiful, safe, English speaking destination, it’s an ideal location for first time mission teams, youth teams, adult teams, or college teams on an alternative spring break. Where possible, we strive to build strong, ongoing relationships with churches and colleges.
Who are out teams? A team is any group of people willing to work together to help at our school. Most often these teams are from churches, university and high schools, though we also have groups of friends as well as families come to volunteer. A team is usually anywhere from 5 – 25 people.
What do teams do? Well, it all depends a little on age, experience and resources, but here are common team activities.
- General maintenance/construction – Most of our teams undertake maintenance and construction activities. There are always things that need doing at the school – repairing, rebuilding or tackling a major project. Some jobs require experience and skill, while others can be done by anyone who is willing.
- Games, Craft, Sport, Vacation Bible School – At the right time of year, teams can experience the rewards of helping with craft, games, sports and vacation bible school. It is incredibly moving to work with the local children.
- Remedial – qualified remedial teachers staying on the island for longer periods of time can make a huge difference to a child by helping with remedial reading, writing and maths.
- Dental – Licensed dentists are able to volunteer at our dental clinic – the San Pedro Smile Center Too.
- Relax – All volunteering schedules include time to experience the natural beauty of Belize and local tourist attractions. Dive, visit ruins or simply enjoy the beach.
Mission teams needed:
We have openings for mission teams to help with a variety of projects including playground improvements, installing ceilings in classrooms, finish a workshop area and a wide variety of essential maintenance projects. Open weeks during the 2017 school year
- June 2017 (week of 19 June)
- July 2017 (weeks of 17 July, 24 July and 31 July)
- August – first week only (the week of 31 July)
Contact us to reserve a week, or to inquire about dates in the coming school year.
If you’re in Belize for a week or more, there are opportunities to help in our literacy and or numeracy programs, giving 1:1 help to students who need a little extra support to catch up. Full training is provided and no special skills are needed, just patience and a love of working with children.
If you have skills in with computers, or can service printers and copy machines, we could sure use your help in our computer lab.
We can also use skilled handymen to help with various maintenance needs around the school.
If you don’t have much time but still want to help, consider volunteering to bring a second suitcase with items from our wishlist.
Contact us to find out more about volunteering at Holy Cross School, and to ask about volunteering at other times